Sunday, January 18, 2009

Staying ahead of the pain...

Alrighty then, it is 5:00 am on Sunday morning.

Friday morning we arrived in Princeton around 10 after 8. They pointed us in the direction of "Day Surgery", and I took in my last few moments of being able to walk on my own as I eagerly awaited the time I could put on my trendy hospital gown.

We took our coats off in a small room with a curtain, and the nurse promptly brought me a purple gown of paper and some matching purple socks...
Just as she was instructing me for my wardrobe change, another nurse came in and whisked me away. Dr. Branson's first patient had cancelled, and although I wasn't scheduled for my surgery til later on, they were ready to get this show on the road! So, we went on into the surgery prep area where I finally got to slip into my purple attire and amuse the nurses as they came and went.

It is times like those that I truly enjoy being able to bring a smile to others when they are there to help and encourage me. I joked with them of how the incident occurred, my professional volleyball skills, the idea of going under and how I needed to make sure they gave me enough sleep aide because a doctor in the past assured me a woman of my size needs more medicine than the ol' average petite ladies of our day in time. (true story)

I was so grateful to have Greg by my side. He is a good man, and the Lord has definitely equipped him with knowledge on care taking through his mom's illness. I'm so thankful he is my husband.

They gave me, a littl' somethin' to take the edge off, and I waited for them to take me on back.

I don't remember how long I waited there, but then a guy carrying a cute blue hair cap started my way and I knew it was time. They wheeled me into surgery, had me scoot onto the table, and started strapping my arms down. The sweet nurse held my hand and wiped my gigantic tears as she encouraged me to find my happy place. Then I saw the oxygen mask come over my head and onto my face...

When I woke up in the recovery room, I started crying, and sometime between 8 and 10 yesterday morning I stopped. The pain was more than I had ever imagined. My body wasn't responding to the pain medicine like they said it should, and I honestly felt that I had made a huge mistake by choosing to have this operation.

They had me get up and walk, instructing me on how to use crutches, and when I got back in bed I just wanted lots of medication and a good night's rest. The procedure is typically outpatient, but the nurse suggested I stay at least one night due to the amount of pain I was experiencing.

Good idea nurse.

We got settled into our room that night and then I just spent my time longing for the next time the nurse would come in to give me relief thru m IV.

The doctor came in and assured me I was ready to spread my wings and fly. The Physical Therapists came in and assured me the same thing. They helped me do some walking, and even had me going up and down steps in preparation for my departure. I, however, didn't feel ready to go. I wasn't pushy, but I stuck my ground, and through a lot of prayers and a wonderful nursing staff vouching for me, they gave me the okay to stay through this morning.

I should be discharged sometime before noon.

My leg is swollen and it is really uncomfortable to have to lay flat on my back with my leg straight, but the vision of me and my family enjoying "activities" this coming summer and fall assure me I made the right decision.

Now that they have the medicine on a schedule, every 4 hrs, and I'm doing what they call, staying ahead of the pain, I feel so much better.

It reminds me of our walk with Christ. And how we can become so "holy" or so dependant on him during the trials, during the pain...He wants us to stay ahead of the pain by drawing close to him daily. If we can remind ourselves to work on our personal relationship with Christ through reading His word, prayer and worship...He will be our refuge through those trials, and we'll be better prepared to handle what is coming our way. I know what it felt like waiting for that relief to kick in, and that is what our lives can be like if we fail to be proactive in our walk with the Lord. So, challenge yourself to stay ahead of the difficult times you will surely face by "stocking up" on God's promises through the reading of His word.

I will start rehab in a week, I will be limited to walking ONLY with crutches for about 3 months, and then I should be able to start some light activity.

I'm thankful for all the prayers and support from all of my friends and family.

I'm excited to see the lessons God will teach me through this difficult time for me and those closest to me. I look forward to spending days schooling E n E in my bed, cross-stitching some goodies for my sister's baby she is carrying, and encouraging Greg's skills as a Chef!!

In other words...I'm gonna enjoy my downtime while enjoying eating pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

4 comments:

  1. You never really know who you are going to bless when you write this, but I can honestly say, you have really encouraged me to "stay ahead of the pain" with Jesus Christ. I never thought of that before, but now I am going to really have to remember that so that I can stay strong. You know what all goes on in my life, and when it comes to the really hard parts, I am just down on my knees then, but not thru the "not so hard times" Thank you so much for pointing that out to me! I hope you will be able to stay out of your physical pain. I can not imagine... I am praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there, jamie. it sounds like you've got the right mindset to "kick" this thing pretty quickly. i think downtime is good for us every now and again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...that's not bad for someone who is 'high'....maybe I should take a lil' somethin' somethin' before I blog....then MAYBE i can be as good as you!!
    love you girl....you are doing great....keep your focus....perservere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I appreciate you guys taking the time to read my cool lil' blog - it may not stay as good as I come down off the narcotics, tho...lol...the feedback means so much! thank you!

    ReplyDelete