Tuesday, January 20, 2009

4 days with my new ACL...

It is around 2:30, Greg is cleaning up the kitchen, Emma is whistling while she waits for her brother to help her get across the gate that is keeping the dog from attacking my stitched up leg, Ethan is standing at the gate questioning Emma as if he is in the CIA and has to do interrogation before allowing her into the hallway to retrieve her hairbrush.



I am currently icing my knee, and enjoying having the brace off for a few minutes.



I woke up late this morning, actually it was almost noon. Obama was minutes away from giving his acceptance speech when my eyes finally saw daylight.



I did not sleep at all night before last, and only enjoyed two short naps yesterday, so I'm assuming once I got settled in around 11 last night, my body was ready to be restored.



Yesterday when I did get up out of bed, I had an extremely hard time with walking. My leg wasn't cooperating and it was very frustrating even trying to get out of the bed to the bathroom.



I got discharged from the hospital Sunday afternoon and Greg and I made the trip from Princeton to Beckley with my leg awkwardly propped up on bags of hand-me-down clothes in the back of the mini-van. I was in quite a bit of pain, but we made it to the house and then the realization of climbing my front steps set in. It was snowing, and Greg had to shovel and clear off the sidewalk before getting me out of the van. However, it was so cold and so icy, Greg was extremely nervous about me getting out and getting into the house.



I stepped onto the sidewalk and immediately realized that my best bet was to "scoot", or slide myself towards the steps. It was a little unnerving not being steady on my feet under such slippery conditions, but we got to the bottom step and I begged Greg to let me go up by sliding up on my bottom. The physical therapist had mentioned using that as a last route in case steps were too daunting for me in the early days after surgery. He took my crutches, but then the thought of my hands and bottom on that icy cold brick caused me to attempt the climbing with my feet and crutches first. We stood there for what seemed like a good 2 or 3 minutes before I was able to muster up the courage to lift my good leg up off the ground. You lead with your good leg going up steps, you lead with the bad going down - this is what the therapist told me. Yeah, um, easier said than done.



The motivation of getting a warm shower overtook me and I was able to make it up the steps, through the door and into the bathroom. I got a shower and Greg got me onto the couch where I settled in for the evening.



I struggled with leg cramps and muscle spasms the rest of the evening. I couldn't rest or relax at all. Greg sat down beside me and decided we'd watch "Get Smart" with the Rock and Anne Hathaway...for anyone who has watched TV with Greg, you know that he shouts, laughs, and expresses himself very boisterously and isn't able to control his legs and arms as they jerk and flail around like an animal!!! So - I was quite annoyed and had to ask him to remove himself from my side and take a seat in the recliner away from me!

I was anxious to get in the bed in hopes that I would be able to be more comfortable there, but we tried several different pillow arrangements, only to find that comfort wasn't in the cards for me for a while.

I was awake all night and then slept for a few hours yesterday morning. When Greg lifted my leg yesterday and then placed my foot on the floor to try to walk, my breath was taken away by the amount of pressure I felt in my incision area. We had just removed the bandages and my scar was now visible. It is crooked...Greg finds this incredibly amusing! Yes, my permanent marking, the only tangible memento I will have to show everyone how I regained my ability to run, jump and frolic with a new ACL - it is crooked.


Moving on.


I was excited to finally welcome Ethan and Emma back home. They had been staying with my parents, and because Ethan had basketball practice, my parents were going to bring them home and stay with me while Greg took Ethan to practice.

Emma was extremely scared of my leg and the possibility of hurting me, by accident of course. Nevertheless, she wasn't feeling very good herself and was slow to actually come and sit with me. Finally, she came and curled up with me on the couch and it felt so good having them them home with me.

Today, I was able to get up and walk much easier. It is still a little uncomfortable and it isn't like I think I'm ready to just get on with my everyday life, but I was able to set down and get up off the couch by myself without Greg lifting my leg as if it were it's own entity.

I'm feeling much more independent and I'm not really feeling much pain, that is a good trade.

Emma and I are here on the couch now, Greg took Ethan to run errands.. We had quite a scare a few minutes ago. Emma said, "Uh, Mommy, I think my nose is bleeding." She was right, as she turned to me blood was making it's way down her nose and was all over her arm! Sitting on my light-colored creamy couch, I was trying to think quick!! I of course, could not get up and get to the bathroom in time to get a towel and catch it! So, we ruined her shirt by using it as a napkin. But we saved the couch and stopped the bleeding. First real emergency on our own, and we survived.

Thank you to all who have been praying for my recovery!

I am feeling good and I can't wait to get my rehab started next week!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there crip! Sorry...that was a very "Greg" thing to say. I hope you're feeling better. I've been keeping up with your blog...you're quite the writer. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that we were thinking about you. Tell the rest of your brood hello...and all the other Beckley-ites that we miss. By the way, if you get bored, the movie "The Women" is pretty good. I watched it the other day and enjoyed it. Take care and hope the recovery gets better each day!
    Lindsey, Greg & Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh out loud! And that's hard to do these days. I enjoy reading all of your postings. We all know you're a born entertainer, but you should consider writing as part of your gift. :)

    ReplyDelete